Hair loss is a common concern for many people, and while there are various treatments available, achieving hair regrowth can be challenging. In this article, we’ll discuss the causes of hair loss, the options available for hair regrowth, and what you can do to promote healthy hair growth.
Did you know…
There are many different treatment options to mitigate hair loss and shedding, ranging from natural supplements, like Nutrafol, to corticosteroid injections. The treatments work to prevent the natural hair growth cycle from being disrupted and encourage healthy and increased hair growth.
Research shows that hair loss can be a function of several different factors, such as…
Causes of Hair Loss
Hair loss can occur for a variety of reasons, including genetics, aging, hormonal changes, medications, and medical conditions. In some cases, hair loss may be temporary and can be reversed with the right treatment.
Options for Hair Regrowth
There are several options available for hair regrowth, including topical solutions, prescription oral medications, nutraceutical supplements, and in-office injection therapies.
- Topical Solutions – a popular treatment option for hair loss. These solutions contain ingredients that stimulate hair growth, such as minoxidil, which is FDA-approved for treating both male and female pattern baldness. Topical solutions are easy to use at home, but they may take several months to produce visible results. They can also cause side effects such as itching, burning, and redness.
- Prescription Topical Medications – Prescription topical creams, such as corticosteroids and anthralin, and prescription solutions, such as clobetasol, can help with hair loss caused by autoimmune disorders. These prescriptions are easy to use at home, reducing inflammation and stimulating hair growth. However, they may cause side effects such as irritation, itching, and dryness of the scalp.
- Prescription Oral Medications – Prescription oral medications, such as finasteride and dutasteride, can be used to treat hair loss caused by male and female pattern baldness. These medications work by blocking the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is responsible for hair loss. Their side effects may include decreased sex drive and erectile dysfunction.
- Corticosteroid Injections – Corticosteroid injections are a common in-office treatment for hair loss caused by alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder that causes hair loss in patches. The injections are distributed directly into the affected area of the scalp, reducing inflammation and stimulating hair growth. The injections typically need to be repeated every four to six weeks and can cause some side effects, including thinning of the skin, discoloration, and infections.
- Nutrafol Supplements – Nutrafol is a supplement that contains natural ingredients, such as saw palmetto, ashwagandha, and biotin, that are believed to promote hair growth. While these supplements are not FDA-approved, some studies suggest that they may help with hair loss caused by stress, nutritional deficiencies, and other factors. However, like any supplement, they may cause side effects, and it’s essential to speak with a healthcare provider before taking them.
- PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) Therapy – PRP therapy is a non-surgical treatment option that uses the patient’s own blood to stimulate hair growth. The patient’s blood is drawn and then centrifuged to extract platelet-rich plasma, which is injected into the scalp. PRP therapy is believed to promote hair growth by increasing blood flow to the hair follicles and promoting the growth of new hair cells. The treatment is typically done in multiple sessions and can cause some side effects, such as swelling, redness, and discomfort.
Choosing the Right Treatment Option
Choosing the right treatment option for your hair regrowth can be a challenging decision, which is why we are here to help. Speak to one of our providers to determine the underlying cause of your hair loss and find the most effective treatment options for you. Be sure to share any and all your medical history to accurately and properly treat you. Factors to consider when choosing a treatment option may include the severity of your hair loss, the underlying cause, the potential side effects, and the cost.
Promoting Healthy Hair Growth
In addition to the above treatments, there are several things you can do to promote healthy hair growth:
- Maintain a Healthy Diet: Eating a balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals, such as iron and biotin, can help promote healthy hair growth.
- Reduce Stress: Stress can contribute to hair loss, so finding ways to manage stress, such as through exercise, meditation, or therapy, can be helpful.
- Avoid Tight Hairstyles: Wearing tight hairstyles, such as braids or ponytails, can pull on the hair and contribute to hair loss. Opt for looser hairstyles instead.
- Use Gentle Hair Care Products: Using gentle hair care products, such as sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners, can help prevent damage to the hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can hair regrowth treatments be used by both men and women?
Yes, hair regrowth treatments can be used by both men and women. However, some treatments may be more appropriate for one gender than the other. It’s important to speak with a healthcare provider to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your specific needs.
How long does it take to see results from hair regrowth treatments?
The length of time it takes to see results from hair regrowth treatments will depend on the specific treatment used and the individual’s response to treatment. In general, topical solutions and nutraceutical supplements may take several months to produce noticeable results, while prescription oral medications and PRP therapy may produce results more quickly.
Are hair regrowth treatments covered by insurance?
Each insurance plan varies in their coverage, but most treatments listed above are covered by insurance. Nutrafol supplements and PRP therapy are not covered by insurance, unfortunately, as they are considered non-medical.
Are hair regrowth treatments safe?
Most hair regrowth treatments are considered safe, but there may be some potential side effects associated with certain treatments. It’s important to speak with a healthcare provider to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your specific needs and to discuss any potential risks.
Can hair regrowth treatments be used in combination with other hair loss treatments?
Yes, most hair regrowth treatments can be used in combination with other hair loss treatments, such as hair transplants or low-level laser therapy. It’s important to speak with a healthcare provider to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your specific needs.
What treatment options do you offer?
Based on your preference, severity of the condition, and your medical history, your provider will discuss with you the best option. The treatments for hair loss are a long-term progress and is important to continue receiving the treatments. Even when you see significant improvements with your hair, it is best to see your dermatologist for professional evaluation. The treatment options include:
- Corticosteroid Injections: These injections are administered directly onto the scalp, on the area of hair loss, to reduce inflammation and encourage new hair growth.
- Topical Solutions: Over-the-counter solutions, like minoxidil 5% solution, has shown improvements with hair loss as well. Apply a few drops on the scalp twice a day and leave it on for a few hours. Both females and males can use this solution.
- Prescription Topical Creams and Solutions: Prescriptions, like clobetasol solution and halobetasol cream, can help reduce your symptoms and encourage new hair growth. Your provider will discuss prescription options based on your condition.
- Prescription Oral Medications: There are also oral prescriptions you can take for hair loss, which help fight the disturbed growth cycle internally. Females are recommended to take spironolactone, and males are recommended to take finasteride.
- Nutrafol Supplements: Nutrafol is known for their natural ingredients clinically proven to improve hair thickness, growth rate, scalp coverage, and shine in all ethnicities.
- PRP: Platelet Rich Plasma treatments are injections of your own plasma cells into the scalp. The plasma is rich in growth factors that aid in increasing your hair growth. It is a personalized treatment as it uses your own blood plasma.
Which Nutrafol products do you offer?
We offer three products in our office:
- Supplement Capsules (3 month supply)
- Growth Activator Serum
- Stress Adaptogen
Personalized Hair Regrowth Plans at Borealis Dermatology
Achieving hair regrowth can be challenging, but there are several options available to promote healthy hair growth. If you’re concerned about hair loss or are interested in exploring options for hair regrowth, we encourage you to make an appointment with one of our board-certified dermatologists at Borealis Dermatology. Our team can provide a personalized treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals. We have two locations, Garden City and Syosset, in New York for your convenience. Call today to schedule your consultation or book online on our website.